Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Birthday!

I surprised everyone by arriving three weeks before my due date. I knew that if I grew any bigger I'd never fit through my mom's pelvis, so I made her water break at 8 am on the morning of November 1st. Unfortunately my plan kinda backfired because mom's labor didn't start on its own. She had to be induced at the hospital, which made our labor a bit more colorful than it otherwise might have been. I was born early the following morning with the urgent assistance of my dad, Dr. Craig, a herd of nurses, and a vacuum extractor. I had a little trouble breathing, probably due to my cord getting pinched during delivery, so I didn't get to hang out with mom and dad for very long before I was whisked away to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Dad came with me and I could tell he was really concerned.
I spent my first 5 and 1/2 days of life in the NICU, but I had lots of good nursing care and my mom and/or dad came to cuddle and feed me every three hours (except for a few times when they decided they needed to sleep a little). I guess I'm pretty lucky because there's a brand new NICU at Logan Regional Hospital. If I had been born a week earlier I would've been in the old NICU and I wouldn't have gotten my very own room.
I spent the last couple of days getting a tan under some blue lights. I thought I looked really cool with my fancy blindfold. Everyone was really pushing me to eat a lot, so I did my best and on November 7th we were finally able to head home. Mom and Dad were SO ready to get out of there! I didn't see what the big rush was - until we got home and I realized that I like it here at home a LOT better.

1 comment:

Peggy Wood said...

Gavin, I am thrilled to meet you! Though I won't get to do so in person until December 2nd, your Mom and Dad have done such a great job of staying in touch and sending pictures and videos that I feel like we have met. Papa and I can't wait until we meet you for real!